- 1998 – Victoria University of Wellington
- 2000 – The University of Sydney
- 2001 – The University of Western Australia
- 2003 – The University of Melbourne
- 2005 – The University of Auckland
- 2007 – The University of Adelaide
- 2008 – The University of Tasmania
- 2011 – The University of Otago
- 2013 – Monash University
- 2015 – The University of Queensland
- 2017 – Victoria University, Wellington
- 2019 – The University of Sydney
1998 – Victoria University of Wellington
The First Conference of ANZAMEMS was held at the Victoria University of Wellington in 1998.
2000 – The University of Sydney
The Second Conference of ANZAMEMS was held at the The University of Sydney in 2000.
2001 – The University of Western Australia
The Third ANZAMEMS Conference, ‘Metamorphoses — Peoples, Places, Times’, was held at The University of Western Australia in Perth in July 2001. The programme for this conference has been archived here as a PDF file (366KB).
A closely related conference, Cultural Encounters in the Indian Pacific Region, 1200-1800 was also held in Perth on 10-13 July 2001 under the aegis of Parergon. The programme for this conference has been archived here as a PDF file (193KB).
2003 – The University of Melbourne
‘Memory and Commemoration’: the Fourth Conference of ANZAMEMS was held at The University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, from February 5-8, 2003. The Conference Website has been archived by the Internet Archive.
2005 – The University of Auckland
Old Worlds, New Worlds: the Fifth Conference of ANZAMEMS was held at the University of Auckland from 2 – 5 February 2005.
2007 – University of Adelaide
The Sixth Conference of ANZAMEMS as held at The University of Adelaide, 7-10 February 2007. Co-convenors: Dr Heather Kerr and Dr Lawrence Warner.
- Professor Jaynie Anderson, University of Melbourne, author of Tiepolo’s Cleopatra (Palgrave Macmillan, 2003); Judith (Éditions du Regard, 1997) Giorgione: The Painter of Poetic Brevity (Flammarion, 1997).
- Professor John Ganim, University of California-Riverside , author of Medievalism and Orientalism (Palgrave Macmillan, 2005), Chaucerian Theatricality (Princeton UP, 1990), and Style and Consciousness in Middle English Literature (Princeton UP, 1983).
- Dr Vanessa Harding, Birkbeck College London, author of A Short History of Early Modern London (Cambridge UP, 2005); The Dead and the Living in London and Paris, 1500-1670 (Cambridge UP, 2002).
- Professor David Wallace, University of Pennsylvania, author of Premodern Places (Blackwell, 2005); The Cambridge History of Medieval English Literature (ed.; Cambridge UP, 1999); and Chaucerian Polity: Absolutist Lineages, Associational Forms in England and Italy (Stanford UP, 1997).
2008 – The University of Tasmania
The 7th Biennial International Conference was held at The University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 2-6 December 2008. The theme was ‘Alter Orbis’.
Keynote speakers: Mary Carruthers, Conal Condren, Ruth Evans, Edward James, Rodney Thomson.
Conference convenors: Elizabeth Freeman and Jenna Mead
Conference Web site: http://www.anzamems2008.utas.edu.au
2011 – The University of Otago
ANZAMEMS Eighth Biennial International Conference, The University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, 2-5 February 2011.
- Professor Alastair Minnis (Yale University)
- Professor Michael Hunter (Birkbeck College)
- Emeritus Professor Peter Matheson (University of Otago)
- Professor Dauvit Broun (Glasgow University)
Conference Website: www.otago.ac.nz/mems/anzamems
- Dr Simone Celine Marshall
- Dr Judith Collard
- Professor Peter Anstey
For a report on the recent conference in Otago, by participants Julie Ann Smith (University of Sydney) and Eva Schlotheuber (University of Düsseldorf), please visit the Institut für Geschichtswissenschaften’s website.
2013 – Monash University
ANZAMEMS Ninth Biennial International Conference, ‘Cultures in Translation‘.
Caulfield Campus, Monash University, Melbourne, 12-16 February 2013
- Chris Baswell (Columbia University)
- Anne Dunlop (Tulane University)
- John Najemy (Cornell University)
- Charles Zika (The University of Melbourne)
Dr Carolyn James and Dr Clare Monagle
2015 – The University of Queensland
ANZAMEMS Tenth Biennial International Conference. The University of Queensland, 14-18 July, 2015. The conference was followed by a PATS on the 20 July, 2015.
- Professor Alexandra Walsham (The University of Cambridge)
- Professor Laura Knoppers (Notre Dame University)
- Professor Jessie Ann Owens (UC Davis)
Dr. Dolly MacKinnon
2017 – Victoria University, New Zealand
ANZAMEMS Eleventh Biennial International Conference, ‘Mobility and Exchange’. Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand, February 7-10, 2017. The conference was followed by a PATS on the 11 February, 2017.
- Associate Professor Erin Griffey (University of Auckland)
- Professor Martha Howell (Columbia University)
- Professor Lorna Hutson (Oxford University)
- Professor Cary Nederman (Texas A&M University)
Conference Convenor: A/Prof Sarah Ross
Photos from the first day of the Conference (Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo):
Copyright © Image Services, Victoria University of Wellington. All rights reserved.
2019 – The University of Sydney
ANZAMEMS Twelfth Biennial International Conference, ‘Categories, Boundaries, Horizons’.The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia February 5-8, 2019. The conference was preceeded by a PATS on the 4-5 February, 2019.
- Assoc. Prof. Seeta Chaganti (English, University of California – Davis)
- Prof. Jane Davidson (Music, Victorian College of the Arts and Melbourne Conservatorium of Music, University of Melbourne)
- Assoc. Prof. Yuen-Gen Liang (History, National Taiwan University)
- Prof. C.H. Lüthy (Philosophy, Radboud University)
- Prof. Elaine Treharne (English, Stanford University)